Tripping.com Travel Lovers Scholarship
Tripping.com, wants people all over the world to have incredible travel experiences. To support students' travels, we've launched the Tripping.com Travel Lovers Scholarship.
Students, share your local expertise with us and you could win $1,000!
Tripping.com is the leading vacation rental site, with over five million listings worldwide. As an innovative travel site, Tripping.com aims to provide its visitors with unique information about all travel destinations worldwide, from small towns to large metropolitan cities.
The Essay Topic
We’re passionate about all things travel, so we want to know, ‘what is your favorite vacation destination’? For your application, please write an engaging travel guide to your favorite vacation spot. It should entice and inspire travelers and above all, help them plan the best visit possible! What’s important are the details: where did you stay? Which restaurants and cafes did you dine at? Is there a certain must-do activity when visiting this destination? Rich descriptions make the guide, so don’t hold back!
The Prompt: Write a visitors guide to your favorite vacation spot.
The essay should contain at a minimum the following sections:
- Introduce us to your favorite vacation spot. What makes it your favorite? Here are some questions to consider while writing the introduction: Where is it located? What’s the weather like? When do most people visit it? Does it have an on-season and an off-season? Is it typically visited by people from a certain area or of a certain age etc?
- Top Things to Do (top attractions, activities, dining options etc)
- If the town you’re writing about is known for great pizza, instead of suggesting that the reader grab a slice while visiting, tell them where to find the best pizza and describe what makes it top notch.
- If the location you’re writing about is a beach town, stating that it has great beaches doesn't help someone planning a visit. Instead, it’s far more helpful to note which beaches are best for swimming, surfing or for families etc.
- Best Neighborhoods or Areas to Explore and Stay In
- Is there an area that is known to offer the best food, nightlife, shopping, etc? Let us know!
- Is one place better to stay in than another? Visit Tripping.com to see if your favorite spot has great rentals for guests.
Writing Tips for Applicants:
- You are the guide: As the writer of this travel guide, you are the trusted aficionado, so share your sought-after insider information. Assume that the reader has not visited this place before and help them plan a fantastic trip.
- Make your guide genuinely useful: Where can you find the best cup of coffee? What are the best places for lunch and what's best to order there? The more information you can share, the more your guide will come to life and the more traveler will be able to make use of it.
- Remember to check your facts: Whether you're checking a business' hours of operation or some interesting information about the location, it’s critical to be accurate.
The two winners from the competition will each receive a grand prize of a $1,000 check.
Entry Requirements & Eligibility
Applicant must be either a high school senior who will be graduating by spring of 2016, a college student or a graduate student. Students enrolled in technical schools are eligible as well.
Essay must be between 1,000 and 2,000 words.
The entry must be the applicant's own unique work and will be checked for plagiarism.
The spring competition entry deadline is 11:59 PM (PST) on March 31, 2016.p>
Rules & Regulations
The winning travel guides will be judged on the following criteria: content, accuracy, writing quality, style, creativity, and adherence to the written requirements. After the deadline of March 31st, 2016, all entries will be reviewed and two winners will be selected. The winning applicants will be notified by no later than April 30th, 2016.
The selected winners will receive a one-time check of $1,000. Prize money is provided by Tripping.com and will be paid via mail to the winning applicants.
Submission Of Materials
All entries must be entered through the official Tripping.com submission form, which can be found here. No paper or hard copy submissions will be accepted. All essays must be written in English. Personal information submitted will be used solely for the use of awarding the scholarship and will not be used for any other function. All written submissions become property of Tripping.com and may be edited and published on our website, blog, social media accounts, or elsewhere as we see fit.
Current Tripping.com employees and the immediate family of current Tripping.com employees are not eligible for entry. All applicants must be U.S. citizens or permanent residents of the United States. Applicants must either be an incoming college freshman for the fall 2016 academic semester or a current undergraduate of any accredited two or four-year college or university with plans to study abroad. To see if your school is eligible please search the database of accredited postsecondary institutions and programs.
For high school seniors applying for the Scholarship, as Tripping.com only awards scholarships to colleges and university students, you must notify us regarding the school you plan to attend. Should you not provide this information in your application, Tripping.com reserves the right to award the scholarship to subsequent finalists. Tripping.com may also modify the scholarship's rules and regulations when necessary. The prize must be spent on qualified tuition and related expenses.
Tripping.com Scholarship Submissions: Visitor Guides Written by Applicants
Visit a New City: These Top Destinations are Home to Scholarship Applicants
|New York, NY ||Oakland, CA|
|Lake Tahoe, CA||Atlanta, GA|
|Miami, FL ||Santa Cruz, CA|
|Prescott, AZ||Rochester, NY|
|Nashville, TN||Albuquerque, NM|
|Evergreen, CO||San Jose, CA|
|Stinson Beach, CA||San Diego, CA|
|Bald Head Island, NC||Montauk, NY|