With an enormous population crossing the mark of billions, diverse landscapes from imposing mountains to gold frittered fascinating beaches, and a winsome assortment of flora and fauna, the spellbinding terrain of India offers immeasurable opportunities for the adventure tourists!
India is an amazing land, sprinkled with different topographical characteristics such as barren deserts, lush green valleys, majestic mountains and high velocity rivers. These diverse landscapes make India a great destination for exploration. In fact, adventure tourism in both north and south India is highly popular among globetrotters and adventure-seekers alike.
Here are some of the major adventure activities in India:
- Trekking: India is a land of picturesque landscapes and breathtaking valleys. The astonishing Himalayan region provides the nation a tag for being one of the best places for trekking. Easy or strenuous, short or long, India's awe-inspiring terrain offers countless various types of trekking opportunities. Some of the best major routes for trekkers in India include the Trans- Zanskar Trek, the Dzongri Goecha La Trek, the Stok Kangri Trek, and the Singalila Ridge Trek.
- Mountain Motor Biking: Riding a motorbike through a serene, natural landscape sparks a unique thrill. India's diverse terrain offers a great scope for mountain motor biking. Some of the major routes for mountain motor biking in India are Manali to Leh, and the motor biking tour to the majestic mountains of Ladakh.
- Whitewater Rafting: Whitewater rafting is an enthralling recreational activity for adventure-seekers and outdoor enthusiasts. In India, whitewater rafting is most popular in the northern part of the country, where the rivers flow south from the Himalayas and gush between thickly wooded mountains and ravines. There are many rivers in India that offer rapids suitable for rafting, such as Zanskar, Indus, Alaknanda, Bhagirathi and Teesta.
- Camel Safari: Camel safari is an unforgettable adventure activity that passes through the country's barren deserts. Major hotspots for camel safari are Bikaner, Ladakh, Jodhpur and Jaisalmer, in the state of Rajasthan. These memorable safaris provide travelers the unique opportunity to stay the night in remote desert villages.
- Jeep Safari: The Himalayas can be explored by foot and also by car. Jeep safari is an exciting way to experience the region, especially Ladakh, Kumaon and Kinnaur, and a great option for those unable to trek through the rocky terrain. July through September is the best time for jeep safari in Ladakh while September through May are the best months to explore Kumaon and Garhwal.
- Paragliding: Want to fly freely like a bird? Try paragliding in Uttarakhand, home to many destinations perfect for sailing through the sky.
Adventure tourism attracts new tourists every year to explore India's varying, beautiful landscapes.