Top 5 Reactions to My Australian Working Holiday

This is a guest post by American Tripper Caroline Eubanks inspired by the reaction she got when telling others about her working holiday in Australia: “I wish I could do that.”

Backpack on, ready to leave for Oz. Photo Credit: Amy Eubanks

1. You’re so brave

Am I brave? It’s not like I’m charting unvisited territories like Lewis and Clark. I’m even in a country that speaks English, more or less, so that challenge is out of the picture. If it’s the being away from home part that makes me brave, I already did that when I left for college. Am I brave for not doing what is expected of me? I’m never sure how to respond to this statement.

In front of the Sydney Opera

2. You’re lucky

I hate hearing that word any time I’m traveling because luck has nothing to do with it. I prefer the word fortunate. I’m fortunate to live in a country where owning a passport gives me a lot of freedom and opportunities. I’m fortunate to have realized early on that travel is a priority in my life, more so than 9-5 jobs, apartments and stability. This statement always makes me feel like I haven’t earned it. Like my parents paid for my trip (they didn’t). Like I didn’t wait tables for lousy tips instead of going out with friends in order to save up to buy my plane ticket.

The reward for working hard and saving money cannot look much better.

3. You’re going alone?

It sounds like I just told you I was planning on shaving my head and worshipping trees. I’ve traveled alone many times before, the first time when I was 17, and this time is no different. The only exception was that my now-boyfriend was here to make sure I didn’t get into too much trouble. I recommend solo travel to all ages and genders because alone is not the same as lonely.

Two days in Australia and here is Caroline's first Travel Tribe: Heather (There's No Place Like Oz), Brooke (Brooke vs. the World and WhyGo Australia) and Lauren (The Life That Broke) at her future employer, Customs House Bar. Photo Credit: Brooke Schoenman

4. Now’s the time to do it.

While I agree with this statement in many ways, since I have no major commitments in the US and the job market there has fallen apart, but who says you can’t travel now AND later? There are plenty of great stories of people in their 60s and 70s traveling. My grandparents are such an example and are still riding camels in Egypt and camping in the Moroccan desert.

House beach in Brighton

5. I wish I could do that.

Why can’t you? You’re the only person getting in your way. Jobs, houses and relationships can all be adapted if you make travel a priority. Here are the only acceptable excuses for why you can’t travel like I can.
You don’t have a passport because you are an illegal alien and risk deportation.
You are in the witness protection program and travel could compromise your alias.
You are wanted by the police or currently serving time in jail, in which case PLEASE stay where you are.
You are in the hospital for treatment of a life-threatening condition.
There you have it. If one of these excuses fits your description, I doubt you should be reading this post in the first place. As for the rest of you, apply for a passport if you don’t have one already and get moving. It doesn’t have to be to Australia, but that would be pretty cool. So get Tripping.

Caroline bird watching in Melbourne. Photo Credit: Tommy Dewhurst

For more tips on Australia, connect with Caroline through her profile, she’ll be ”thrilled to meet Trippers Down Under!”

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

13 Responses to Top 5 Reactions to My Australian Working Holiday

1. vdaollczae says:

Bill Damuth 2001 Coach from the Year at Hill College Bill Damuth was hired because Lady Cards assistant coach during the summer.Coach bags Damuth.who was on the bench with Kurt Budke in TVCC for six months and three national championships.Coach Bags Outlet spent the last four seasons at the University of Louisiana-Lafayette just as one assistant coach and recruiting coordinator.Coach Bags Outlet : http://www.coachopartcom.com/ Prior to that.he was the head coach at Hill College.where he compiled a 51-12 record.His first Hill College squad went 29-3.won a conference title and was ranked as high as 13th from the national rankings.Damuth was named NTJCAC Coach of the Year.At Hill College.Damuth produced six all-conference players.two all-region players and one All-American.The Martins Mill native received his bachelor of science and history degree through the University of Texas at Tyler in 1995.He earned his master in sports science and management from the us Sports Academy in 1998.Damuth responsibilities include coordinating recruiting efforts.coaching the post position and being involved in the defensive scheme.Damuth and his wife Michelle have one son.
    As you navigate the multitude of twists and spins.hills and valleys of your life.you may come across a valley in which you should seek guidance.Some of our journeys are like quick trips towards the amusement park.fun and uninhibited.Some are more deep and profound.where we regard the ultimate indicating of life.our life! With this journey you may seek the guidance of a life coach to help you receive this spiritual healing.Spiritual healing is when energy is transmitted to the one who needs it.The treatment works on the body.the mind and the spirit.all three make up one unit that must work in harmony once and for all health.

long year acer trends show only 001 more acelenolysunci topics now pr11 in 2012

2. vcjibzjpfe says:

Check out my fucking Canada Goose coat! Fucking look at it!Canada Goose Parka Do you know what this jacket means?Cheap Canada Goose Jackets It means I’m warm as fuck right now!Cheap Canada Goose Jackets : http://www.enjoycanadagoose.com/ That’s right! I have a long day ahead of me, but I sure as hell won’t be as cold as you idiots in your moderately priced winter clothes!! I’m the fucking creative director for the fourth biggest tech blog on the East Coast! Go visit our website! I picked out the color scheme!! Leave a comment in the comment section!! Go on! Do it!!All my co-workers have Canada Goose jackets too! And iPad 2′s!!Our office is on the top floor of the building! People on the elevator know that I’m important because of the key card that’s attached to my jacket! It has my picture on it! When I get to work,I’m going to look out on at all the shivering people in the streets! Shivering because they can’t afford a Canada Goose jacket!!I need my caffeine fix before work! I fucking love Americanos! I give myself god damn espresso enemas! I love coffee that fucking much!
    I’m going to fuck your barista! You heard me! I’ve been going to that particular coffee shop for 24 months and yesterday she claimed nice jacket! And she was probably conversing with me! Canada geese are the most frequent and widespread goose species in The usa, with strong populations throughout america and Canada in esturine habitat, along waterways and in rural areas where marshes and lakes are mixed together. These birds are year-round citizens from Pennsylvania and Nyc to North Carolina and also west to Nevada along with Washington. Southern populations and intense northern populations are migratory, traveling in a incomparable V-formation seasonally. long year acer trends show only 001 more acelenolysunci topics now pr62 in 2012

3. vdnamauhxe says:

Fresh to Karen Millen UK the Midwest Karen Millen Coats – http://www.karenmillenoutletsales.com/ from across Karen Millen Coats the pond,Karen Millen Karen Millen Dresses brings glamorous,distinctive Karen Millen Dresses womenswear from England to Chicago’s Magnificent Mile.In its first Midwest location,you will findunique looks for day,night,work or play.Built in 1981 by Karen Millen and Kevin Stanford with a loan of just 100 Euros,Karen Millen isknown for glamorous,distinctive clothing,shoes,and accessories for the confident,uncompromising woman of today.Women throughout the world appreciate their perfectly cut pieces which effortlessly fit women’s body,from on-trend leather jackets to investment coats and occasion wear.Karen Millen produces 12 collections each season addressing day,work,occasion and weekend pieces.All collections are designed in-house,from the detailed lace used in their famed eveningwear to the embossed hardware on statement bags.In-house pattern cutters complete the team,and help to perfect the flattering female fit for which they’re famed.Karen Millen’s Spring/Summer 2010 collection heralds a new relaxed mood with elegant,draped pieces tailor-made for the season’s artful layering.Fluid fabrics,easy cuts and feminine details are joined with a coolpalette of calm neutrals.The lighter theme continues with pretty lingerie detailing while slick sporty pieces add a modern,urban twist.Hot tropical colors and dazzling prints bring vibrancy to the mix.Stop on level 3 to get a look at the unique collections and the elegant,drapedpieces that make Karen Millen a welcome addition to The 900 Shops.Combining a signature sculptured silhouette with luxurious fabrics,Karen Millen offers versatile investment pieces,providing effortless,contemporary style.Considered essentials and perfectly cut tailoring sit alongside directional pieces; whilst statement evening dresses and accessories benefit from finely honed detailing. long year acer trends show only 001 more acelenolysunci topics now prh in 2012

4. vdxmbingle says:

karen millen dress has been making a splash on walkways and
    in shops for years, karen millen dresses
    as one of the established leaders inside women’s clothing industry.
    Her full lines associated with very fashionable,
    karen millen sale : http://www.karenmillendressie.com/ fun clothing offer
    something for all,and will outfit any woman from
    go to toe,with accessories karen millen dress included.
    The dresses collection just for this year is
    karen millen dresses as
    unique as ever.It features chic
    karen millen dresses styles
    starting from stunning attire that will
    illuminate the room on almost any
    important occasion,to light,breezy dresses that may help any gal look
    her best when using informal outing with friends
    or even a date to an
    outdoor cafe.

5. vbzmumldxe says:

These classic tods outlet tods Women are well received through people.They will tods shoes : http://www.todsshoesshop.net/ bring your daily life more fun,self-confidence to make your daily life more colorful! Shoes not disappoint.So great style will probably be worth tods shoes to add his or her wardrobe.And tods shoes now Todd will be represented way.In mordern world,but also an classy,tods outlet high quality.In latest years,does not remember plenty of new Tods Moccasins.Of course,a set of legends or may maybe not remember how very several new shoes tods previous.The Tods shoes are excellent to the person who understands what he needs.Tods Moccasins exceptional record,also away from your current 133 beans has formally begun.It is most well-known merely like a complete result of their producing shoes.producing utilization of the combination of best exceptional and special design,recently,Tods Mens partners while using famed Italian opera home to produce a brand determine new kind of ballet slipper.The design is energetic,Tods Shoes and stylish and practical attitude alive expressed in mordern occasions.Fashion often come to Italy and further infect other parts from the world.The particular president using the Tods Shoes said which he can cover the expense of repairing the actual Colosseum.Officers have got authorized Diego Della Vallea€?s offer you every single child bring in the particular refurbishment using the old Roma market.Romea€?s mayor explained press town ultimately acquired the particular resources to try the particular venture since “the conclusion of your nightmare”.Tods Womens Moccasin in plum possess the classic design.tods moccasin shoes These womens sewing shoes have got metal adornment.Lining leather and delicate insale.Supple suede upper within it.Moccasins are back! Wardrobe essentials with a little bow adding a female twist.Tods moccasin women suede uppers. long year acer trends show only 001 more acelenolysunci topics now pr35 in 2012

6. vcegwsnpee says:

In1960 when Sale Karen Millen the enterprise designed Sale Karen Millen – http://www.outletsalekarenmillen.com/ fresh Karen Millen Outlet water-proof shoes or boots that they can decided to name. for the reason that solution became very well liked,karen millen ireland dresses, people Sale Karen Millen chose to influence the Karen Millen Dresses name from the firm to, so they really could be able to ride to the rise in popularity of their own new service.firstly you have to know is the fact that your roots on the company ended up being placed in the season 1918. this is carried out whenever nathan swartz build shop for an newbie stitcher throughout boston ma massachusetts. nevertheless, rrt had been generations in the future around 1952 whenever nathan swartz went forward and also got a quality quantity of gives you (50%,ted baker online of your total holdings in the abington shoes corporation. though they was not this abundant, he or she surely could repeat this with the plan perform he was honored by way of the different producers. three years after,karen millen discount dresses, nathan swartz acquired the remainder of the degree of explains to you (the other 50%,) intended for their sons.next time period, the boots increased within level of popularity and also the product persisted to get maximum huge acclaim as the enterprise extended to the different regions which it we had not been paid to in the beginning. all these districts bundled nations just like madeira, along with other elements of the european union.because you will certainly have me watch, this boots are becoming extremely popular in the recently available nights along with the availability of a brand appears to be becoming greater or higher. even so,karen millen outlet sale, in case you are among the list of individuals who are taking into consideration in relation to purchasing the boot footwear.

7. vbxpfnbple says:

christian louboutin outlet junyue Christian Louboutin Pumps Braiding and sailor collars somewhere between beach atmosphere,Christian Louboutin Outlet seaside promenades and luxurious hotels. The maritime jeans look is rounded off with a small Christian Louboutin Online – http://www.salechristianlouboutinoutletonline.com/ anchor or seahorse motif.Christian Louboutin Outlet goes make up-free to visit fiancee Evan Rachel Wood on the set of Mildred Pierce in New York to Christian Louboutin pumps sale But Marilyn Manson appeared washed Christian Louboutin Outlet out when he dropped the stage persona to pay a visit to his fiancee Christian Louboutin Outlet Evan Rachel Wood on the set of her latest Christian Louboutin Outlet project this week. Christian Louboutin shoes are Christian Louboutin Pumps for women who want fashion. Smart women or girls for the mature, Christian Louboutin shoes, install over the winter and summer. Christian Louboutin Outlet Since many types of cheap Christian Louboutin shoes for your various needs as the beginning of Christian Louboutin are women, women in Christian Louboutin pump The first thing is to make clear what the style of clothes and show what part of your body. Christian Louboutin Shoes For example, you decide to show sexy legs and fingers? Then your job is to find the Christian Louboutin Outlet shoes for you. Of course, this is for ordinary people to change, not the style of dress, so often that even some celebrities. Christian Louboutin Outlet Thus, a pair of cheap Christian Louboutin shoes would be great.

8. Marvelous, what a website it is! This website provides useful data to us, keep it
    up.

9. This is my first time go to see at here and i am
    actually happy to read all at single place.

10. Everything is very open with a precise explanation of the issues.
    It was truly informative. Your site is extremely helpful.
    Thanks for sharing!

11. This is very attention-grabbing, You are an overly professional blogger.
    I have joined your rss feed and look forward to in quest of extra
    of your magnificent post. Additionally, I have
    shared your website in my social networks

12. What’s up to every one, the contents existing at this website are in fact amazing for people experience, well, keep up the nice work fellows.

13. An impressive share! I have just forwarded this onto a friend who was
    conducting a little homework on this. And he actually ordered me dinner because I discovered it for
    him… lol. So allow me to reword this…. Thanks for the meal!
    ! But yeah, thanks for spending time to discuss this issue here on your website.